Nutritarian 6 Week Plan Eat To Live
From the book Eat To Live: The amazing nutrient-rich program for fast and sustained weight loss by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
This is the 6 week plan that I started to follow this week. Although it keeps me full with all the beans and huge salad I get to eat, snacking is a huge part that I need to change. Therefore, I am still not following the plan 100% as I would like. I’m going to use this week rather as a transition phase to this to allow my brain to process the three meals a day. My snacking hasn’t been too off. I’ve been snacking nuts or fruits (with the exception of today having coffee with cream and sugar, eek!!) I like that it’s so simple and focusing on nutrient dense whole foods.
Here is the 6 week plan:
UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want):
- all raw vegetables, including raw carrots (goal: 1 lb. daily)
- cooked green vegetables (goal 1 lb. daily)
- beans, legumes, bean sprouts, or *tofu (minimum 1 cup daily in total of these)
- fresh fruit (at least 4 daily).
- eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomato and other non-starchy vegetables, cooked and raw (unlimited)
*Beans should be eaten daily; tofu should be eaten less frequently.
LIMITED (not more than one serving):
- cooked starchy vegetables OR whole grains–Maximum 1 cup per day (butternut or acorn squash, corn, sweet potato, brown rice, cooked carrots, whole grain breads*, whole grain cereals*)
- raw nuts and seeds (1 oz. or 28.5 grams a day) or 2 ounces avocado
- ground flaxseed (1 tablespoon a day)
- soymilk, low-sugar preferred–Maximum 1 cup a day
*avoid breads and cereals as much as possible
- dairy products
- animal products
- between meal snacks
- fruit juice, dried fruits
- salt, sugar
NUTS and RAW SEEDS, but not ground flax, are optional for obese or overweight persons while they follow this weight loss plan. People who have difficulty losing weight may also eliminate the starchy vegetable/grain.